WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > WEB DESIGN > Graphics & Multimedia > Photoshop or Gimp

Old 21st February 08, 01:35 PM   #1
Torner983
WLC Member

Default Photoshop or Gimp

Which do you think is easier to design with?

Photoshop, probably just really used to it and I couldn't switch to Gimp.
Torner983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 08, 09:04 PM   #2
4hero
WLC Lover

Default Re: Photoshop or Gimp

Illustrator CS3
4hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 08, 12:31 AM   #3
Niki
WLC Lover

Personally, I like Photoshop better, but that's just because I'm used it.

Some people like GIMP better, but that's because they're used to it.

So...in the end, it really depends on the person.
Old 18th April 08, 12:13 AM   #4
VIPStephan
WLC Lover

I havenít used GIMP but I must say that Photoshop is really one of those programs that is the least made to design with. Basically Photoshop is a photo retouching program, not really a graphic design application. I donít know why its so popular and misused for that?

A program that is actually made for website design is Fireworks. Itís way more flexible through the possibility to draw and easily modify vector objects. For example those all-famous rounded corners are so easily editable in FW while in Photoshop you need to accomplish five steps to create them and waste a lot of time if you wanna modify them.

Fireworks is kind of a simplified version of Illustrator which is a pure vector program and very good for graphic design in general. Illustrator has more really graphic design (i.e. other than just website design) specific functions and is much more suited than Photoshop because as I said Photoshop is a photo retouching program. While you can do graphic design with it itís just a waste of time and resources because things are way more complicated than in the two other mentioned programs.

And I seem to recall that the GIMP is quite similar to Photoshop so I guess to answer the OPís question: none of them is better. Use Illustrator for advanced graphic design or Fireworks for website design and simpler graphic design tasks.
VIPStephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 08, 12:24 AM   #5
Purp
WLC Member

Photoshop by a mile.

Photoshop and Illustrator are both great image manipulation tools, for raster and vector graphics (respectively). Fireworks (and InDesign) is a layout tool for web (ID for print) and makes certain tasks easier, but is far too stripped down in image manipulation possibilities to ever replace PS or IL.

Purp
Purp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 08, 01:10 PM   #6
_bam
WLC Member

I've used both also, I tried to use gimp for a while but like you said, just couldn't get used to it. The amount of user documentation available for gimp is nothing in comparison with what you can get for photoshop. Theres endless amounts of photoshop tutorials, articles and tips. Stick with photoshop, although yes, I do like the philosophy of what gimp is all about (open source).
_bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 08, 12:33 AM   #7
chrishirst
Banned

If you want an open source vector tool, give InkScape a try.
chrishirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 08, 06:14 AM   #8
couchart
WLC Member

Photoshop, but only because i learned it first. If I had learned on GIMP, i would probably say that is better. I want to take the time to learn GIMP, but why? I already know photoshop

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
couchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 08, 07:50 PM   #9
Jen
WLC Admin

Photoshop FTW. Do search for photoshop thread here. Most of my design softwares are Adobe.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 08, 01:51 PM   #10
Steker
WLC Member

Everyone will advise you to use the program they first learned... If you're a beginner, i would advise you to learn Gimp, because you wont have copyright problems with software...

Leave your opinion there:

Steker is offline   Reply With Quote

Linear Mode Linear Mode