WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > WEB DESIGN > CSS > [SOLVED] Placing 2 DIVs side by side..

Closed Thread
Old 16th February 09, 02:36 AM   #11
Graphictree
WLC Member

Default Re: Placing 2 DIVs side by side..

Thank you for the explanation. Works perfectly. I've been sitting here for two hours trying to figure it out. Now I learned it in five minutes...Highly appreciated.
Old 18th February 09, 10:44 AM   #12
lillan
WLC Member

A good idea is to set one of the blocks with an inline style, i.e

Quote:
#leftcolumn { width: 300px; border: 1px solid red; float: left; display:inline;}
#rightcolumn { width: 300px; border: 1px solid red; float: right;}
Old 18th February 09, 11:58 PM   #13
avim
WLC Member

Thanks for the different solutions, guys. I'm having the same problem but I'll give some of these methods a try now.
Old 8th April 11, 08:28 AM   #14
andyedberg
WLC Member

Thanks for sharing answers. I was searching for this answers from many times and posted this thread in many forums but i was not able to find out the answers.I also want to insert 2 div side by side. One for contains and one for advertisements.
Old 12th April 11, 09:03 AM   #15
LearningCoder
WLC Lover

I always float my first container left and my second container right (that is, if I want one container completely on the left and one completely the other side on the right). But say if you wanted 3 div's on the same line, I would float the first container left, leave the second container with no floating(just margins to center it) and I usually float the 3rd container to the right.

Or, as lillan said, you can use {display: inline;} to get all your containers inline, then set the margins as you wish. And basically using the clear attribute on an element AFTER you have floated your div's, will effectively put your element (whether it be a <div> or <hr /> etc) on a 'new line' which puts this specific element underneath the floated <div>'s.

Note that if you float an element left, then anything after this element automatically resides next to your floated element, that is, it appears next to your floating element. If you wanted something to float left, but you want your next element to reside underneath this floated element, you have to use the clear attribute on whatever element you would like underneath.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LearningCoder; 12th April 11 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added more
Old 15th April 11, 03:17 AM   #16
LearningCoder
WLC Lover

Well, what you need to do it delete all your <table> elements and child elements. (<tr><td>). Then put your content that was inside the table inside a <div>. Then, using CSS, you can position each individual element as you wish.

It would help me if I could see your code, then I might be able to create something for you. Or, if you prefer, do me a Print Screen of your website/table, and I'll try to put something together similar to what you have using tables, but using a div.

If you post your code on here, I'll take a look at it if you wish. Or do me a print screen buddy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 16th April 11, 12:52 PM   #17
chrishirst
Banned

A: No <body> element. Yes it was optional in such an ancient DTD but browsers do have "issues" without it

B: You are telling browsers to render to HTML 3.2 specifications which was superceded almost FIFTEEN years ago.

CSS1 had only been around a year at that time and you are trying to use CSS2 concepts.

Now even Infernet Exploder with it's penchant for handling "odd standards" is likely to "throw a wobbler" at that.

Come up to a HTML4.01 Transitional DTD at least (Strict if you are feeling brave) and follow the XHTML standard of all tags and attribute names in lowercase.

I would also suggest leaving "Expression Web" sitting on a shelf in a closed cupboard and download Aptana Studio and use that instead.
Old 17th April 11, 10:43 AM   #18
Jen
WLC Admin

Any questions regarding divs side by side, please start your own thread.
*locked*

Thanks
Closed Thread

Linear Mode Linear Mode