WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > WEB DESIGN > Browser Compatibility > Navigation Menu Issue with Firefox

Old 24th February 14, 10:10 PM   #1
mrylande
WLC Member

Default Navigation Menu Issue with Firefox

Hey everyone,

I am a very amateur web designer, who is also very new to CSS, so please be gentle…

I am having a very frustrating issue with Firefox. My website is designed so that when my main menu navigation bar is too long for the screen, it automatically converts into a drop down menu. Naturally, this function is to better serve mobile and tablet devices.

This feature works perfectly on every browser except for Firefox. With Firefox, my main navigation menu bar is converted to a drop down menu, even though I am viewing it on a standard laptop, not a tablet or mobile device.

AND, as soon as I refresh the page, it displays just fine. And, as long as I don’t clear my history or cache, it will continue to display just fine.

Not a “huge” deal, but super annoying that new visitors to my site who are using Firefox get this experience as their first experience.

I have studied my CSS code for hours, searched through countless numbers of CSS forums for help, tweaked every bit of code I thought was relevant, and I am completely baffled.

Maybe there is some sort of overstack issue occurring? Maybe not. Who knows – as I say, I am an amateur.

If anyone could look at my code and give me some help, I would be very appreciative.

My website is http://mikerylander.com

Thanks!

PS: This is the first time I’ve not been able to solve a CSS or HTML problem on my own, so hopefully the answer isn’t something ridiculously easy.
mrylande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 14, 12:03 AM   #2
ronaldroe
WLC Lover

Default Re: Navigation Menu Issue with Firefox

You're using jQuery for something that can so easily be done with CSS. I can't give you a specific answer to your question, but it could have to do with how Firefox reports viewport size. It's possible the script is running before FF can give it an accurate viewport size.
ronaldroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 14, 12:44 AM   #3
mrylande
WLC Member

Gotcha.

Therein lies a huge drawback from building a site based on a WordPress template.

Any suggestions for a fix?
mrylande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 14, 07:43 AM   #4
vishwebdesign
WLC Member

hi,
the problem's source is in the js.
http://mikerylander.com/wp-content/t...s?ver=20120206

menuWidth = 1000;
you need to change it to a greater value. the 1000 is being used to calculate the minimum width at which the menu should be made into drop-down

hope it helps.

Linear Mode Linear Mode