WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > SOCIAL CHAT > Website Gallery > Would Like A Review & Suggestions Of My New Site

Old 1st November 14, 03:17 PM   #1
Vance
WLC Lover

Default Would Like A Review & Suggestions Of My New Site

While I am not a web designer, I put together a new website and would very much be interested in comments, as well as suggestions as to how to improve, on this site.

The site is at http://pickmysmoker.com

I am a tough old bird so be honest and fair with your comments/suggestions. I am trying to learn as I go, but I can't fix what ain't broken.

Thanks in advance . . .
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 14, 01:27 AM   #2
meesa
WLC Mod

Default Re: Would Like A Review & Suggestions Of My New Site

I'm a hard judge. Take with a grain of salt.

Put everything in the menu bar, including contact and about. You can remove some space between menu items, and you can go a couple points smaller if necessary.

Your header seems squashed. Remove the black from around it. Top flush with the top, bottom flush with the menu. Possibly make the header itself that tall, such that the image fills what is now black.

Don't let your text wrap under the product images.

Make your Read More links not be an image. Text with a red background is much better.

Popular articles isn't flush with Recent Reviews. Sometimes it's right, sometimes it's low, sometimes it's high. The same code should be on every page in regards to layout. Figure out where the disconnect is.

Even if you don't use the header suggestion about, remove the black from the top and bottom. Remove the black from the sides of the header and footer. Possibly make the black that contains a bit thinner.

Your footer text color is too close to your footer background color. Add more contrast.

If you're feeling really ambitious, make the Popular articles scroll with the page once you scroll far enough. Requires JS, but there's a lot of black once you're past that.

Add a little space above the "Send email" button. Capitalize the E in email. Add a little space between the fields. As in, 2-4px (guessing).

Personal preference, but "'PICKMYSMOKER.COM' came to be" to "PickMySmoker.com came to be"
Old 2nd November 14, 10:07 PM   #3
Vance
WLC Lover

Thanks for your input, Messa. I have no problems with a hard judge. How can I fix anything if I don't know what is wrong nor can I learn unless someone points out problems. I appreciate your review.

I have taken your advice and moved everything to the menu bar, but I would interested in knowing why you suggested that? Is having the contact and about us floating up in the header considered bad form? Is there another reason?

I also changed the header around so that there is no black space around the image and have fixed all the text so that none of it wraps around the images. Again, is something like what I had considered bad form?

I have gone over each and every page to make sure that the Popular Articles is flush with the Recent Articles. Unfortunately I have no clue why I have to adjust each individual page. I have searched the Interweb and ask around a bit, but cannot find an answer as to how to get columns to line properly that makes sense to me. I will continue to hunt around to see if I can find an answer to this problem. My best guess at this point is that the problem has something to do with the float.

As for the footer, I did not want the text to have a whole lot of contrast so that is why it is the way it is.

In regards to having the sidebar scroll, I have no clue as to how to make it do that. I do plan to add more article and/or some ads or something along those lines. I will figure out how to fill that space so that it does not look so bad.

Finally, I fixed the contact page so that it looks better now as well as the beginning of the About Us page.

Again, I really appreciate your review. I hope that a few others will take a look at the site and give me some feedback on it as well.

Cheers . . .
Old 2nd November 14, 10:34 PM   #4
meesa
WLC Mod

I suggested putting everything on the menu for two reasons. As a general rule, that's where people look for links. Yes, you will see some sites where it is similar to what you had, but you always have to look for those links to find them. The second reason is because with your layout, they were just out of place. The fact that they were floating there was part of the problem, like they were just stuck there as an after thought. Make Contact Us the last item because that's where it usually is. Also, you usually find About us towards the beginning of the menu. The benefit of making things like they "usually" are is because then when people come to your site, they immediately know how to navigate it.

In regards to the text wrapping. With one or two images, it can work, but still in my opinion, it's not great. The reason is that when your eyes reset, they go back to where they started last time. So if the text suddenly jumps back, the flow is lost. Also, with your layout, you had only a few words that fell under at times, which just looks weird.

In regards to the border on the top and bottom, again, just visual design. The browser serves as a border at the top and bottom, thus an additional border is redundant. If the screen happens to be the same width as your site, you want your side borders to become apart of the browser, and not stick out, which is why I suggested a thinner edge. (How you have it now works perfectly.)

In regards to popular articles. Your layout is the same on every page, therefore you should not have to adjust per page. Something is different between the pages in regards to your core layout. Figure that out, and you'll be golden.

Fair enough on the footer contrast.

Contact page looks good now. About I'd still remove the single quotes. Not necessary, but since there's nothing special about the name it flows better. It would kinda be like seeing, 'Nokia' is now owned by Microsoft. The quotes server no purpose.

And the making Popular articles scroll is something you'd have to do with JS. Basically you'd have to detect when you've scrolled past the top of it, at which point you would change it to fixed positioning. Once you've scrolled so far back up, it sticks to it's original location. That's a bit more advanced, and may be something you try to take on later down the road when as you learn more.
Old 3rd November 14, 11:42 PM   #5
Vance
WLC Lover

Thanks so much for the info.

I see there is still plenty to learn.

Cheers . . .

Linear Mode Linear Mode