WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > SOCIAL CHAT > Resources > Learning the core of CSS

Old 26th March 09, 07:46 AM   #1
xJustin
WLC Member

Default Learning the core of CSS

So this site appears to have some very knowledgeable people when it comes to CSS and I am wondering where you guys learned the core of CSS? I checked out that sticky with the huge list of resources for CSS but i feel bombarded by amount of things to read.

Could any of you recommend me a site or book to get the basics, especially when it comes to layout, for CSS? I do know a good amount of CSS, but i wanna make sure i know the core of it (i.e. classic layouts that everyone should understand) so i can start to branch out to more advanced techniques...

Also, which blogs do you frequent that you find you actually learn stuff from and enjoy returning to?

thanks in advance!
xJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 09, 04:34 PM   #2
meesa
WLC Mod

Default Re: Learning the core of CSS

I learned from an E-book that I read, and what it didn't tell me, I found the rest on w3schools and a couple other random sites.
The rest just comes with experence. The more you code, the better you get!
Old 28th July 09, 10:20 AM   #3
Afty
WLC Lover

CSS Tricks is a nice site.

Otherwise learn by doing is my best advice, think of something you want to do, then google how to do it. Once you have that give it a whirl.
Afty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 09, 07:12 PM   #4
Kat
WLC Member

I did a lot of reading and studying then re-reading. In my experience, one of the best ways to learn CSS is by studying the CSS of already made websites (I use free templates) in tandem with learning the basics and going from there.

I felt and still feel that by manipulating the CSS of an already-built site, you can learn faster.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 09, 08:18 PM   #5
Lily
WLC Member

Like others have said, there's W3Schools, which is great. Also, I would highly recommend any of the O'Reilly books. I don't think I ever get through an entire page without referencing W3Schools or my CSS Pocket Reference from O'Reilly at least once.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 09, 04:35 AM   #6
frogs
WLC Member

I'm finding HTMLdog to be a bit clearer than W3Schools. It doesn't cover as many things, but it covers the basics in better detail. That's what I've been re-reading.
frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 09, 04:45 AM   #7
rkrause
WLC Mod

I learned by downloading templates and manipulating them to see what different things do (mainly for html, but basic css as well) for the more advanced tips, i read a book "The CSS Anthology" by SitePoint....

Ryan.
rkrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 10, 05:42 AM   #8
YoshiGoneMad
WLC Member

If you learned the basics of CSS and looking into building an actual site. I highly recommend MaxDesign: http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/

They give you a step by step tutorial on how to use floats and ways to layout a webpage.

For beginners, you should learn the 2 or 3 column layout and rest should be fairly simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
YoshiGoneMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 10, 07:14 AM   #9
gblakeney
WLC Member

Simon Collison has a few great books out, but one in particular seems to connect with me well.

Beginning CSS Web Development From Novice to Professional

gerg
gblakeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 10, 12:44 PM   #10
Phreaddee
WLC Lover

w3.org

css specifications

simple. to the point. effective. makes sense.

if its in css it'll be there.

no more no less
Phreaddee is offline   Reply With Quote

Linear Mode Linear Mode