WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > WEB DESIGN > Browser Compatibility > [SOLVED] Testing IE on a Mac

Old 17th May 15, 08:18 AM   #1
desk
WLC Member

Default Testing IE on a Mac

Hello,

I'm renovating a web site from 1997 that commits all the usual sins (tables for layout, strings of  , etc). Testing with various browsers involves using IE 5.2, the last version made for Mac.Is it worth it?

I can check the latest version of IE on public computers, though I've read older varieties (IE 8 & 9?) have their own glitches.I've done some small workarounds in the CSS, but v5.2 is still very cranky.

For what it's worth, results so far can be seen @:

http://www.colourmusic.info/indexSTYLED.htm

as well as on the files:
http://www.colourmusic.info/introSTYLED.htm
&
http://www.colourmusic.info/biblioSTYLED.htm
(The ancient originals can also be viewed, by omitting "STYLED" from each tag.)

Be merciful - I'm new to this & still picking through the errors from WC3 Validator & HtmlTidy!

Thanks
Old 17th May 15, 02:04 PM   #2
meesa
WLC Mod

Default Re: Testing IE on a Mac

I wouldn't bother supporting anything before IE9, maybe IE10. Look at your site stats to see what browsers people have been using.
Old 17th May 15, 08:49 PM   #3
desk
WLC Member

Thanks, meesa.

Looking into my web stats, I find a few visitors go back as far as IE 7. Still, nowhere near as ancient as buggy v5.2! So I guess I'll s**** the latter as any realistic guide, & rely on screenshots from the likes of browsera.com - at least for the moment.

(Mobile compatibility is another thing, but that's way in the future, & best left for another thread...)
Old 17th May 15, 09:53 PM   #4
meesa
WLC Mod

What percentage are IE7/8? If it's a miniscule amount, I wouldn't worry about them either.
Old 18th May 15, 08:59 AM   #5
desk
WLC Member

Good question, meesa. The answer is - a mere 1%. Digging further, this reduces to 2 lone viewers. I would still hate to confound them, so I will try to find screen shots for IE7 rendering when I can.( So far, screen shots for IE8 reveal a single 'error', but it doesn't seem to affect the appearance.)

As for IE5, Wikipedia suggests the term 'quirky mode' originated in its weird behaviour. I will no longer use it for testing. My other baseline browsers - Safari, Firefox, Opera - are dated from the late 2000s. They are remarkably consistent, & are not noticably different from current browsers (including Chrome). They can stay.

It seems CSS has been stable for a decade or more, across most browsers, & hopefully will keep up the good work!

(P.S. I noticed the word "skrap" was censored in my last post, to "s****". What vigilant software!)
Old 18th May 15, 09:05 AM   #6
meesa
WLC Mod

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about them. If they're going to use an outdated browser, your site isn't the only one that is going to look weird.

It's kind of like supporting bothering to suppose Chrome 5, or FF 9. You won't find anybody who bothers to click update with those, and the same is with Windows from Vista. The reason I say go down as far as IE9 is because that's when MS actually started to follow the standard like everybody else, so usually if it works in IE11, it's going to work in IE9.
Old 24th May 15, 03:16 AM   #7
Phreaddee
WLC Lover

If you still want to test IE on a mac, I'd suggest getting virtualbox, and installing windows that way. From there you can install earlier versions (6-8) from here http://utilu.com/IECollection/ , if you so desire to support such older versions. as for IE5.5 I don't think anyone has really used that in years! Not any mac users I know anyway!
Phreaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 15, 10:23 PM   #8
desk
WLC Member

I'm bookmarking VirtualBox as we speak, & will look into Windows versions that apply. It would certainly be nice to have IE, to test at leisure on my Mac.
In my search, I came across a script that claims to correct many of Explorer's early quirks. (I suspect it involves uploading a rather bulky JavaScript, which could slow page loads down.)

https://code.google.com/p/ie7-js/

All these considerations may take some time; the first task is getting my html up to speed, in whichever browsers I have on hand, while learning CSS on the fly.

Linear Mode Linear Mode