WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > SOCIAL CHAT > Website Gallery > Please have a look at my Irish Gift website designs

Old 9th May 12, 02:52 PM   #1
barricades
WLC Member

Default Please have a look at my Irish Gift website designs

Hey there, I'm holding a contest to redesign my website www.traditionalirishgifts.com

I've a bunch of entries in and I'd really like some constructive opinions on what looks best and what works best.

I should point out that the designers haven't been completely sticking to the brief and there should be 6 Guinness related categories (and images) plus another 16 Categories (and images) which I'll need to add in when I've chosen the style.

I want the site to look like it's been professionally designed and not just some dopey website thrown together by someone in the back office of a dodgy gift store who's attempting to learn some html

If possible please put yourself in the position of someone who is looking to buy either some Guinness related merchandise, an Irishy novelty gift or some fancy Aran sweater and please give me your critique of the following.

http://www.traditionalirishgifts.com/designcontest.php
barricades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 12, 09:55 PM   #2
barricades
WLC Member

Default Re: Please have a look at my Irish Gift website designs

235 views and not one comment! lol

Come on ppl I need some opinions!!
Old 11th May 12, 10:09 PM   #3
chrishirst
Banned

Search engine crawlers and other such user agents, don't give "comments"
chrishirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 12, 10:11 PM   #4
chrishirst
Banned

Quote:
I should point out that the designers haven't been completely sticking to the brief and there should be 6 Guinness related categories (and images) plus another 16 Categories (and images) which I'll need to add in when I've chosen the style.
Then reject them all!
Old 12th May 12, 03:17 PM   #5
barricades
WLC Member

Thanks for the comment chris, I didn't realise that this website is frequented by crawlers (and yourself )

Any suggestions for any of them. To be honest I'm not all that pleased with the results myself but I've paid for the contest so might as well pick a winner.

Also, if there is one that might work any suggestions on what it needs done to 'fix' it would be gratefully received.

cheers
Old 12th May 12, 03:50 PM   #6
chrishirst
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the comment chris, I didn't realise that this website is frequented by crawlers (and yourself
Don't forget the spam bots!

Going on first glances, which is usually the best way to find the "least worst"

14 & 21 are the ones that look less "cluttered", so I personally would at least browse the products, with 21 having the slight edge.
Old 12th May 12, 05:23 PM   #7
barricades
WLC Member

Oh aye, how could I forget the spam bots!

14 and 21 do indeed seem to be the most popular (I asked on another forum too) but do you still reckon they're all a bit ****? You said reject them all in your first post.

If you were me would you use either 14 or 21 or do you think they're still sub-standard? If so can you put your finger on why?

cheers :0
Old 12th May 12, 08:28 PM   #8
chrishirst
Banned

I was basing my "reject them" on your comment about them not sticking to the brief. Though some times designers are a bit like that anyway and apply a little artistic licence, which is of course fine, provided it looks right at the end of it.
I can't really say why none of them have the "Hey! That's pretty good" factor, but it's just not there.

Maybe it's because they seem to be lacking it any real originality or flair and just seem to be "variations on a theme".
Old 22nd May 12, 12:54 PM   #9
sijugk
WLC Member

Your website seems fine for me. As shopper, it is easy to navigate through your website and over all neat design. I checked in Firefox and Chrome.
sijugk is offline   Reply With Quote

Linear Mode Linear Mode