WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > WEB DESIGN > Graphics & Multimedia > graphic design freelance web development

Old 24th December 08, 06:36 PM   #1
dmehling
WLC Member

Default graphic design freelance web development

I am right now in the process of learning the basics of HTML/CSS. My goal is to eventually do freelance web design and development. I'm not sure whether to focus totally on design or development. I will probably tend to focus on design which probably means I should also develop some graphic design abilities as well. So I am wanting to know how much I need to learn about graphic design in order to be successful as a freelancer. I consider myself very creative but not necessarily artistic. How difficult is it to develop the needed graphic design abilities, and where should I begin?
dmehling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 09, 10:12 AM   #2
chrishirst
Banned

Default Re: graphic design freelance web development

Quote:
How difficult is it to develop the needed graphic design abilities,
If you haven't got some artistic talents to start with -...

... pretty much impossible.

I am pretty much **** at design for the "prettiness" side of it, I can turn an image in to a HTML/CSS layout and I can design a GUI. So the graphics...

... I leave that to somebody else.
chrishirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 09, 05:10 AM   #3
Brunolima5662
WLC Member

Yea graphic design is pretty important when it comes to web design.
If you have good artistic skills it will make your life a lot easier as a web designer.

I guess just try to find some tutorials online having to do with photoshop or illustrator. Then just try getting into those programs and play around with them a little.

That's what I do sometimes. I'm not artistic either, or a very good graphic designer. But sometimes I get shocked at what I can do just by playing around with adobe illustrator.
Brunolima5662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 09, 02:34 PM   #4
kkelly
WLC Member

It really depends on how successful you want to be, and what caliber of clients you want to work with. When I was in high school, I knew I wanted to be an artist. I chose Graphic Design because I felt it was one of the only ways I could be an artist and make a good living. I went to college and got a 4-year bachelor's degree. (Some schools even offer Master's degrees in Graphic Design, but it's rare to see those actually in the industry. They mostly stick around colleges and teach.) I worked for a small PR firm for four years while building up my portfolio, and then I began freelancing (about 6 months ago). Business is still slow, but it's beginning to pick up.

You don't need a degree to be successful, but it certainly helps. Either way, you have to be committed, and always on the lookout for inspiration. Keep a folder of interesting advertisements, and stuff your browser's bookmarks with design sites (webdesignerwall.com is one of my favorites). Subscribe to (or pick up from the library) some trade mags, like Graphic Design USA, Print, or Practical Web Design.

Good luck, and have fun
kkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 10, 11:57 PM   #5
hmds
WLC Lover

I design, i do not develop that much. I know html and CSS really good, but i use found scripts for PhP actionscript and JS. As a artistc type its harder to develop beucase your mind just doesn't think the same way. If you are a designer be sure to have a good freelance developer arround to pick their brain and help you program the intensive stuff.

I have found however you get so many companies that want a designer and a developer I think they just do not get why the 2 are different.
hmds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 10, 03:06 PM   #6
highseas
WLC Member

i agree with kkelly -- it depends on your clients. i work with a lot of smaller companies and they do not care for the totally artsy sites and most abhor templates.

Just keep learning and acquire tips and tricks and tools and you can make a go at it.

but if you want to be on the cutting edge of web design, that will take some raw talent.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 10, 10:13 AM   #7
svendenotter
WLC Member

I would say, start with the html, css. When you know how to build a site it's easier to design one. You know what's possible and what's not. You know when to use css and when to use images.

For some designer skill you could try to remake a sitedesign you like. Learning from others is the best way I guess.

Good Luck!
svendenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 10, 06:53 PM   #8
Phreaddee
WLC Lover

To me, Graphic Design is just as important as learning the coding side of things. It baffles me when people complain about poorly coded websites, but they then have no concept of colour, typography or adhering to "the grid"
and whitespace. god! it doesnt need to be totally covered. leave some space people...

once you learn these design principles its easier to edit your css to fit your design (ie line-height, letterspacing, font-weight, color, the correlation between fontsizes/lineheight/h1-h6 & p, aligning your divs correctly, margins, padding, the works...) it all makes much more sense, once you know how to design. plus it helps when you want to onsell things to customers, businesscards, brochures, etc, etc
Phreaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 11, 07:36 AM   #9
savej
WLC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmehling View Post
where should I begin?
My only advice is to pick one and than lean the other. sounds obvious. but it the best starting point. Usually it's easier to be a coder. Codes follow rules. Thus making them easier to execute. Design however it about break old rules and then making new ones after. Expose yourself to as many website and think how would you like to change them.
savej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 11, 12:01 PM   #10
Phreaddee
WLC Lover

Quote:
[MOD EDIT: Quote from deleted post.
basically both are different but if u know graphic designing then u can understand web designing easily
exactly, because I drive a ford festiva, I must be able to race in F1???
because I live in a house I surely can build one???
savej got it right
Quote:
Codes follow rules. Thus making them easier to execute. Design however it about break old rules and then making new ones after
although design still has some pretty solid "rules" that you should adhere to. for instance this page
http://yvettesbridalformal.com/index.htm
breaks ALL the rules. literally ALL!!!

Last edited by meesa; 3rd July 11 at 03:28 PM.
Phreaddee is offline   Reply With Quote

Linear Mode Linear Mode