WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > WEB DESIGN > CSS > [SOLVED] Content DIV height to 100% MINUS a 45px header

Old 30th October 11, 09:23 PM   #1
Aeacus
WLC Member

Default Content DIV height to 100% MINUS a 45px header

Greetings.

I've made several attempts to fix the next issue, without any positive results so far. I'm quite sure this must have been solved somewhere on the internet, but I've so far failed to find a thread solving this specific issue.

The page concerned can be found here. Please don't mind its sloppy design, it's still in an early stage of development.
As you can see, there's a header (#header, black banner) with a height of 100%, as well as a content section (#content, blue dashed border). Both are divs inside a div called #container, of which its function is obvious, I think.

I'd like to scale up #content to fill the rest of the page. However, when the actual content of #content () requires more space, the div should expand similar to min-height. When I simply apply min-height: 100%; to #content, the div will obviously cause an overflow which I'd like to avoid.

I don't expect anyone to write a full-featured stylesheet, but I'd truly appreciate it if anyone could give me a hint or a decent tutorial to get me going.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Aeacus; 30th October 11 at 11:16 PM.
Aeacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 11, 11:17 PM   #2
chrishirst
Banned

Default Re: Content DIV height to 100% MINUS a 45px header

Why not just use min-height then?

It is supported by all current browsers
chrishirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 11, 11:58 PM   #3
Aeacus
WLC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishirst View Post
Why not just use min-height then?
This will cause #content to overflow at the bottom of the page. I applied min-height right now, to visualize what I mean. Notice the scrollbar, which is something I'd like to avoid unless there's actual content causing it.

None the less, thanks for your consideration!
Old 31st October 11, 12:18 AM   #4
Aeacus
WLC Member

I 'fixed' the issue by just removing #content, so both #header and the actual content are directly within #container. I gave the #header an absolute position and #container a top-margin of 45px, to push the content down to compensate for the header.
I'm not proud of it, but at least this fixes my issue for now (or actually removes it).

Linear Mode Linear Mode