WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > WEB DESIGN > Graphics & Multimedia > Photoshop or Gimp

Old 3rd May 09, 02:12 PM   #11
Adri
WLC Member

Default Re: Photoshop or Gimp

Well Photoshop costs alot but you can offer your customers a .psd-file with the template. The Gimp on the other side is free and is alot easier for people who didn't used Photoshop in the past...

Adri
Adri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 10, 04:50 AM   #12
YoshiGoneMad
WLC Member

Beside the fact that Photoshop is costly and has more features, what really sets it apart from any other photo manipulation software is the amount of tutorials and freebies that are out there. If you need patterns or brushes, you can easily find one for Photoshop. You can't find much of that for GIMP unless they support .PSD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
YoshiGoneMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 10, 10:52 PM   #13
hmds
WLC Lover

photoshop is better than gimp for the simple reason it is a program you buy. bought programs are always more advanced and such becuase they make money off of them they have to make them good in order for people to buy them. GIMP is a great alternative for someone who can not afford photoshop and i would recremend it for a non professional.
hmds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 10, 04:39 PM   #14
Brucey
WLC Member

Paint Shop Pro Photo x2. Would be lost without it Animation Shop 3 is also excellent.
Brucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 10, 05:23 PM   #15
Nors
WLC Member

I do self use PS. But for those people who wants to get started with digital art / web design GIMP is an excellent alternative. You don't want to spend money on an expensive program in first hand. Let's say you bought PS then it turned out you didn't like to do digital art / web design what ever you'd in PS. Then you stand there, with money spend on nothing.

But IF you liked it and yeah you wanted to work more with that PS can be a good alternative. That was the way I did. Started with GIMP, then after about 6 months I felt like I had learned everything and wanted to work more with these things so I bought PS.

Btw, GIMP can open and save as .PSD
Old 5th August 10, 02:34 AM   #16
chrismgtis
WLC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPStephan View Post
Photoshop is really one of those programs that is the least made to design with. Basically Photoshop is a photo retouching program, not really a graphic design application. I don’t know why its so popular and misused for that?
It definitely is designed for that. It's designed for multiple objectives and it does many of them very well.

Movie studios actively use Photoshop to create textures for models used in 3D Studio Max or Maya for example. One use most people don't think about.

It's also most likely the most used application of it's kind for design companies such as those that design billboard signs for clients. I used to work for one and they used Photoshop.

Illustrator really isn't the same type of application, even though a lot of people will compare the two. They are designed for two different things, but Photoshop "can" do (in a different way) what you would do in Illustrator. Illustrator is just better for a limited list of objectives.

Gimp in my opinion (and most people I've ever met) is a waste of time, unless you install it for your parents to use for some features. Or you just don't have the money for Photoshop. It is free, obviously, but that goes without saying. And free has it's uses.
chrismgtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 11, 10:13 AM   #17
chrishirst
Banned

And far more expensive.
chrishirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 11, 12:35 PM   #18
rkrause
WLC Mod

Fireworks for web design, photoshop for print media work, illustrator for vector-logo work, GIMP if you don't have any of the above and just need to get something done. Sad to say but even Paint.net has some nice features.

Ryan.
rkrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 11, 05:41 AM   #19
EvaBrown
WLC Member

I also prefer Photoshop. It is easy to use, when you will learn everything about this software.
EvaBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 11, 10:48 PM   #20
yowkah
WLC Member

i like photoshop since i have been using it for about 7 years now ( since version 7) and i still learn things everytime i open it.

it takes a lot of practice before being able to make exactly what you have in mind free hand. Gimp is free. thats its big advantage above all. In total i have spent over 2300 euro's on photoshop by now ( just rebuying new versions and business licenses for it.)

Tho as said before: loads of freebee's loads of users, loads of features.

as on the comment photoshop is made for retouching.
i dont think thats true seeing you can position layers and objects pixel precise in the center by just 1 click of a button. Allso the ability to use vector shapes and measuring tools in the program, rulers etc. etc. Its deffiniatly a multi-functional program.
yowkah is offline   Reply With Quote

Linear Mode Linear Mode