WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > WEB DESIGN > CSS > Converting site from old tables and flash to HTML/CSS, thoroughly stupefied

Old 1st March 12, 09:17 AM   #1
Luiza
WLC Member

Default Converting site from old tables and flash to HTML/CSS, thoroughly stupefied

I'm embarrassed that it's taken me this long to step into the 21st century, but I'm finally taking the time to upgrade my tables and flash based Macromedia MX created websites to current standards. But being that I didn't even know the proper techniques with MX, I'm completely overwhelmed by this process.

So here's my first attempt. Could someone please tell me if what I'm trying to do is even possible, and if so, if I'm anywhere close to being on the right path?

I'm trying to recreate this page:
http://www.damonjsmithenterprises.com/

And after days of trying to figure it all out, this is (sadly) the closest I've come:
http://www.damonjsmithenterprises.com/01index.html

You probably need this too:
http://www.damonjsmithenterprises.com/squaregrid.css

Thank you!
Luiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 12, 07:25 PM   #2
FrankC
WLC Lover

Default Re: Converting site from old tables and flash to HTML/CSS, thoroughly stupefied

I only do minor issues and referrals for free, so here it goes. For the basic knowledge of HTML and CSS, if you would still need that, go to http://w3schools.com.

Next, study the first (two) tutorial(s) on Website Laten Maken Amsterdam.

As I said, with minor issues I'll be glad to help, so do come back here with those if you stumble upon them.

Please report back how suggestions worked out.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 12, 08:16 PM   #3
gjermund
WLC Member

Default Re: Converting site from old tables and flash to HTML/CSS, thoroughly stupefied

If you add a div tag around the 4 squares and center them width margin-left: auto; and margin-right: auto;
You also maybe need to say width: ; and height: ;

That could make it look a bit closer to your old page.

If that works you can just add a 10px border to every square and place the logo in the middle width position: absolute; and some margins

Try that, should work, but I have not gone though all your lines of code. But it might help!
gjermund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 12, 05:03 AM   #4
Luiza
WLC Member

Thank you both very much. I will definitely do the tutorials and try to apply the border & div tags once I get a better feel for what I'm doing. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Do either of you think it's going to be possible to get the logo placed in the center, overlapping the squares like it is in the flash version? I can't wrap my mind around how to do that in CSS/HTML, but that's not saying much at this moment.
Old 2nd March 12, 11:41 AM   #5
chrishirst
Banned

Quote:
Do either of you think it's going to be possible to get the logo placed in the center, overlapping the squares like it is in the flash version?
That's EXACTLY what positioning is for. HINT: Use position: relative; not absolute.
chrishirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 12, 06:51 PM   #6
gjermund
WLC Member

Chris here has exactly right!

It won't be any problem recreating your page width only CSS and HTML styling.

But it is smart to read some tutorials and maybe look at some on youtube.
Old 4th March 12, 04:11 AM   #7
Luiza
WLC Member

Woo hoo, I think I did it!

http://www.damonjsmithenterprises.com/02index.html

I ended up doing this as an "image map" (image sprites) and positioned the logo over the center of the background image. Now I just need to know how to get it centered on the page...?

Thanks so much for all your input (especially for directing me to the tutorials - what was I thinking? ) ... if you weren't thousands of miles away I would bake you each a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I really appreciate your help!
Old 4th March 12, 10:31 AM   #8
gjermund
WLC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiza View Post
Now I just need to know how to get it centered on the page...?
Have you tried setting a new div around all your main elements and set the new div to margin-left: auto; and margin-right: auto; ??

You could also set <center> "content" </center> in HTML I think.
Old 4th March 12, 11:33 AM   #9
FrankC
WLC Lover

Quote:
You could also set <center> "content" </center> in HTML I think.
That method has been deprecated years ago, and we would advocate valid HTML here. See the second tutorial on the page I linked (How to Center in CSS) for better methods, which indeed covers the method you mention: put a wrapper div around the to center elements, give it a width and a margin-left:auto and margin-right:auto.

Please report back how suggestions worked out.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 12, 03:35 PM   #10
chrishirst
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiza View Post
Now I just need to know how to get it centered on the page...?
http://welovecss.com/showthread.php?t=8006
chrishirst is offline   Reply With Quote

Linear Mode Linear Mode