WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > WEB DESIGN > Browser Compatibility > IE & menu

Old 30th October 06, 03:51 PM   #1
Niik
WLC Member

Default IE & menu

Hey!

I found a wonderful menu for my homepage. I changed the code a bit and now the menu doesn't work in IE.

http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/taaviss/testi/ietest.html

If you preview it in Firefox menu items are close but now they are far from others. Stupid. Can somebody help me?
Niik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 06, 09:20 PM   #2
quiller
WLC Lover

Default Re: IE & menu

IEwin, with the exception of 7.0, only supports the :hover pseudo-state on a elements. The CSS in your example uses li:hover, which is standard-compliant and will work in Mozilla, Opera, Safari, etc., but not IE 5/6.

There are two work-arounds: Peter Nederlof's whatever:hover HTC file, or (my recommendation) conditional comment based pure css menus. The former works fine, if you want to deal with the server issues that accompany it. The latter is better, in my opinion, because it requires absolutely no scripting, Javascript or HTC, and it validates, to boot.

In your case: check out the :hover HTC, implement, and the menus will work in IE5/6. (They already work in IE7.)
quiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 06, 06:02 PM   #3
Niik
WLC Member

I'm a bit late but I don't understand.
What is the code that I should copy?
Old 6th November 06, 10:36 PM   #4
quiller
WLC Lover

For which method? The whatever:hover technique is quite popular; a quick Google search should result in several step-by-step tutorials. The 'Pure CSS' option, using conditional comments, is quite straight-forward: the link I provided gives you both the CSS and markup.
Old 7th November 06, 08:26 PM   #5
Niik
WLC Member

I mean, can I used the code of my own?
Or will I have to copy another code?
Old 8th November 06, 02:36 AM   #6
quiller
WLC Lover

Well... I hope it's obvious you'd need to at least modify the CSS and markup Nicholls provides. The markup changes include adding conditional comments and some other XHTML tags within the varying layers. Incorporating the CSS might be more difficult, although you could take the stylesheet provided and apply the visual attributes from your current code.

Beyond that, I don't know how to tell you what to modify. I can't find any more detailed tutorials on this specific technique. However, if you're worried about being able to modify/incorporate the code provided, you might look for a tutorial on the HTC method, which is well documented.

Linear Mode Linear Mode