WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > SOCIAL CHAT > Chat Lounge > IS this forum dying?

Old 20th December 17, 07:53 PM   #1
Gimli
WLC Member

Default IS this forum dying?

Is it just me are are you generally a relaxed community , i see so little posts and its about the nhl ( granted its america's only real sport ) lol I like it but yeah what about css , html and all that stuff ? are you guys still doing that.?
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 18, 03:50 AM   #2
meesa
WLC Mod

Default Re: IS this forum dying?

For the most part, this forum is dead. It had its time, but sites like StackOverflow have made it more obsolete. I am the only long-standing member who still comes around, and that's mainly to just delete the NFL spam, and whatever other spam is posted.
Old 4th January 18, 11:19 AM   #3
Gimli
WLC Member

Ah well why do you hang around ?, this also allows me to ask something, what happens to a forum when it dies, I mean i doesnt just go away like a normal website does , i often see them reformed into something else ( usually not a forum ). I mean surely there is some kind of paying and hosting involved and when that is not fufulled the site gets pulled ? ( forgive me but i know nothing about the inner workings of forums) and lasty why the NFL lol ?
Old 6th January 18, 07:26 AM   #4
meesa
WLC Mod

Mainly so the forum doesn't get overrun with spam. It's minimal effort when I remember.

If a website (doesn't have to be a forum) dies, one of two things will happen. Either, an ad company will pick it up, and use the fact that there are lots of backlinks to the site to their advantage. This is probably what you're used to seeing.

Another thing I've seen happen is that a host, usually the company that the domain was bought from, will put a placeholder there and use it as advertising for their company to buy the domain. For some reason ICANN allows that, even though the domain isn't registered.

As for why NFL -- spammers be spammers. I have nothing on that one. I have seen a lot of soccer stuff too.
Old 6th January 18, 08:58 AM   #5
Gimli
WLC Member

Hi thanks for the reply. It makes sense all the traffic and links , if the admins kept the forum from getting any bad rep with google it should be a good domain from the get go as opposed to starting a new one.

I expect it would actually fetch quite a good price.( depending on the domain record and current standing )

Im not surprised though , from websites ,to what to "forums: right to web 2.0s i was interested in buying at one stage , and almost all of the time most expired domains are bought. I suppose we should be great full, sort of like online recycling.

I do think that google might step in when they have a proper method in determining certain things about a bought domian , that they will drop its previous "Authority". It seems to make sense . I read an article once by Matt cutts saying that if you have a new website m or bought a new domain , google approaches it with the mindset , you had a website before and you forfeited it , therefore you will need to regain trust with us. ( though this is not always what really happens) . I think its a good way to regulate things , this is why new websites take time to get going even if you try to pumo them from the start, i think they get something similar to sandboxed for a while. This obviously is not happening with forums and other bought domains because google cannot say with certainty this is a new owner intending to make a new site But im sure they will figure something out. Unless there is actually a benefit to google to let expired domains retain their authority.
This is just my thoughts i could be way off

I was under the impression for some stupid reason that forums go through a different process even though they are essentially websites.

Yep and the host selling a already buffed domain also makes sense. ( all these things after you told me however )

Lol on the NFL thing, soccer i can understand since its so popular worldwide.

Linear Mode Linear Mode