WeLoveCSS Logo
Home Profile Members Search Rules Help New Posts

WeLoveCSS > WEB DESIGN > HTML & XHTML > [SOLVED] Can hypertext links be split along their length?

Old 18th May 15, 10:59 AM   #1
desk
WLC Member

Default Can hypertext links be split along their length?

A problem occurs in my bibliography - a list of references, many with long URLs printed out in full. The lift is aligned left & occasionally there are illustrations floated right.
When the browser window is narrowed to about half the width of the screen (as I'm thinking of what the page might look like on a tablet), the pic bumps up against the hyperlinks.

Then, a long link will jump down below the picture, leaving a large gap above it. This interrupts the flow of text in the left list. It occurs when there are only letters & full-stops in the hypertext, & no nearby hyphens or forward slashes. (E.g. the link http://vantagepointmagazine.wordpress.com/ causes such a jump.)

Is there a way to make the text more flexible, rather than non-breaking?

I realize setting a minimum width for the list might help, but I'm not sure how fixed dimensions could relate to such a line of letters (nor how this might effect mobile devices).
Old 18th May 15, 07:34 PM   #2
meesa
WLC Mod

Default Re: Can hypertext links be split along their length?

I think this is what you're looking for:

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_word-break.asp

However, a better option would be to not use raw URLs, but rather URLs which are hidden behind text descriptions and thus can break at the word endings.
Old 19th May 15, 11:04 AM   #3
desk
WLC Member

That link seems just the ticket! I'll tinker with 'break-all' & the rest, & see what happens. Also, it's good to find this cache of WC3 treasures - I had no idea.

Hidden links have possibilities, too - cleaner & shorter bibliographies are the main advantages.
On the other hand, full links often tell users if they are are clicking on pdf, doc, html or whatever. I've always found that handy. (Maybe I could include a note, with type of file & size, the next time I check all the links to make sure they still work.)
Old 19th May 15, 12:39 PM   #4
meesa
WLC Mod

Depending on the link, there are a few ways to tell them the file type. The easiest is simply:

PDF: Your PDF title here.

Another option is to make use of the :before pseudo, and put an icon corresponding to the type of file it links to, based on a class or something.
Old 19th May 15, 08:08 PM   #5
desk
WLC Member

Another possibility - maybe links, if hidden, won't show as errors in validaton. They do now, when visible (as does a Google search form from last century).
Just being picky...

Linear Mode Linear Mode